Psst. It’s Leap Day – Here’s How to Get a Free Dress!

Today is Leap Day. That’s the really important day we add to our calendar every four years because otherwise we would get really screwed up.

It said so in Wikipedia.

I looked it up.

Other than that, the only interesting little cultural tidbit I could find about Leap Day is that, in some cultures, Leap Day is the ONE DAY every four years when a woman is allowed to propose to a man and — – if he refuses – he must buy her a new silk dress (or, as some resources say, 12 pairs of silk gloves to hide the shame of her unadorned left hand from the publics’ gaze.)

I’m going for the dress.

I don’t think it matters that I’m already married, since I looked at three different sources and couldn’t find anything that precluded married women from playing along.

So, today, I invite you to go out and get yourself a new dress (or 12 new pairs of gloves if that’s what floats your boat.)

Let me know how it went.

And don’t forget to ask someone who is CERTAIN to say, “no.” You don’t want to make things worse for yourself and not even get a dress in the bargain.

Though if the guy is really confused because of what day it is and does say “yes” I suppose you can always just wait for 32 days and shout “April Fools!”

Love, Jennifer

Photo: Flickr, A National Acrobat

12 Responses to Psst. It’s Leap Day – Here’s How to Get a Free Dress!

1. Melanie says:

Ha-ha– thanks for a good chuckle this morning. That pink dress in the photo reminds me of a cupcake. Now I want frosting… that is one of the menopausal food groups, right?

Actually, beautiful Melanie, you are in luck because icing is INDEED a menopausal food group! And guess what, buttercup? SO IS CAKE. And it’s an ENTIRELY different food group, hence, one cupcake equals TWO nutritional hits!!! Aging is the BOMB!!!!! Come visit again and bring your beautiful sense of humor. Love, Jennifer

February 29, 2012 at 11:00 am (Edit)

So…will you marry me?!

(I am a size 6, live and CA and can’t wait to get my new dress. Like you, I am married, so I don’t need the gloves…oh and…I like Fall colors.) Thanks!

3. This is why I am staying inside, turning off my eMail, and shutting down my phone. (I warned my clients :-) )

4. Jenny says:

Chuckle, chuckle. I’m already married & I don’t do dresses unless I’m attending a wedding or other life changing event. I do think I’ll go to the mall & people watch–just to see : )

5. helen says:

have to wait another 4 years again :(
    dang didn.t know it and now leap day is already over.
    the only “man” i could propose to by the moment is my son … guess that doesn.t count anyway … and if … i would have to pay for my own dress since he is still depended on my (15!)
    so i take a couple of pieces of the menopausal food stuff: lets see
    cake, cup cake +heavy frosting, chocolate and marshmallows – top it with a huge hot chocolate with whipped cream :)
    thanks – now i won.t fit into the dress anyway ;D

6. Laurie says:

Well, no free dresses, but I am now planning 3 weddings. Who knew I was so loved. Gonna have to move though. Pretty sure poligamy is not legal in Canada.

7. Jennifer says:

Nice. Here comes the bride. Oh, wait . . . here she comes again / / / nope, wait — that’s her right over there. Love it!!!