When it comes to living our own best life, most of us know what to do, we just don’t do it.
We know what we should eat, and yet we find ourselves in the Nutter Butters at o’dark hundred.
We know exercise is important, and we’re gonna get right to it – just as soon as we . . . .
We know we shouldn’t buy that something or other on our credit card, but it’s such a good price, and these such and suches are hard to find, and besides, I’ve always wanted a thus and such, and moreover, my tax refund is right around the corner, or at least it will be as soon as I do my taxes and — what did I do with the W2 anyway and is it really already April???
Damn! I swore I was never going to get myself in this mess again!
We mean well.
We just don’t execute well.
Okay, here’s where I want to insert a bit of a warning label to this piece:
WARNING: This article is meant to improve your life. Do not read it if you are just going to use it to find another way to hate yourself.
Here are seven little tricks you can use to help you keep on keeping on. Or, as we say here at Life After Tampons,
Quit Your Bitching. Change Your Life.
1. Fake It Till You Make It – Using your very best acting skills, play the role of the person who has already accomplished the thing you want to do. Want to be a fit person? What do fit people wear? How do they hold their bodies while they stand in line to get their yummy green juice?
2. So What? Now What? – If you backslide a bit, it’s important to have a tool that helps you get back on target quickly. When you mess up, when something doesn’t go your way, tell yourself, “So what? Now what?”
3. Do the Next Right Thing – After you’ve picked yourself back up, just do the very next right thing that will keep you moving forward. If you can’t think of what would be “right,” then do the smallest “not wrong” thing you can think of.
4. How Important Is It? – Remember to keep things in perspective. This will keep your thinking from spinning out of control.
5. Easy Does It – Remember to step lightly as you go through your beautiful life. “Act as if” your life delights you. Keep a lighthearted approach to the things you do.
6. Stick with the Winners. Not the Whiners. – Boy this one is important. Surround yourself with people who will champion you. It’s tougher to do this than you may think. In order to stick with the “winners” and not the “whiners” you yourself will have to “act as if” you are a winner. Because other winners will not tolerate whining. That’s a good thing.
7. Whom Can I Serve? – Sometimes the best way to pick yourself back up, is to look for someone else to help. Once, I offered a homeless person some help. I don’t remember what it was that I did, but I DO remember that afterwards, he offered me a piece of Wrigley’s spearmint gum. I was SO humbled by his generosity.
What tricks do you use to help yourself succeed?
Help a girlfriend out. Please share your personal Success Secrets in the Wisdom Circle comments below.
Photo: Flickr, Lauren Lionheart