Live Your Own Life Now. Permission Slip Enclosed.

What if you were already qualified enough?

What if you didn’t need one more piece of paper?

What if you decided that you didn’t need a Hall Pass from any person, organization, institution, or culture to begin living your life the way you want to today?

What if you were enough? Had enough? Had seen enough?

What if you had all the education you needed – at least to get started?

What if you just started? What if life was – from this moment forward – strictly a Come As You Are party?

What if you stopped waiting for the green light, the go-ahead, the nod from the judge?

What if THIS was the time, TODAY was the day? (click to tweet)

* * * * *

For way too long, I waited for permission to begin to live my life as I wished. I don’t know what I was waiting for. I had all these ideas about what was expected of me, of what my responsibilities meant and what it looked like to fulfill them.

I spent WAY too much time looking at what other people were doing or not doing and making myself feel terrible about all the ways I imagined I came up short.

And then, two years ago, I gave myself a gift.

I decided to take a turn in my own life.

I decided to stop.

And then, I decided to start.

I decided to stop living a life I didn’t want and start living the life I did.

I decided to stop hanging on to half-dead relationships and start creating space for new, more fulfilling ones.

I decided to stop working at jobs that undervalued and under-challenged me, and start creating work that matched my skills, my vision, the dream I always had for my One Beautiful Life.

It’s been a “one day at a time” journey, but two years later, I can truly say I’m living a life I absolutely adore. I have deep and fulfilling relationships, my finances are SOLID, and my work is thriving. I’m taking better care of and for myself. I make space for myself EVERY DAY and, as it turns out, absolutely no one was hurt in the making of this complete woman.

No one is suffering because I am thriving.

Midlife. Reimagined.

It feels absolutely DELICIOUS to be here.

As we put the finishing touches on 2012, I would like to extend an invitation to you. I would like to cordially invite you to take a turn in your own beautiful life.

And, when you are ready, I’d like you to make a decision. I’m inviting you to RESOLVE that THIS is the day, that THIS is the moment.

. . . instead of all that martyr-tinged drama, just simply and quietly allow an inner knowing to develop in your core. Allow yourself to feel your own resolve, and, when you’re ready, commemorate your commitment to yourself by typing these words in the comments below,

“I Will.”

And then, make SURE you sign up for updates from our site, so that you don’t miss out on the “how” of this whole life reimagined thing.

TODAY’s SUGGESTION: If you can, slow down. Cut your “list” in half. Savor each moment of your day. Even the hard moments are “savor-worthy” because those moments are your teachers.

Photo: Flickr, Pink Sherbet Photography

Comments from the LAT Wisdom Circle

40 Responses to Live Your Own Life Now. Permission Slip Enclosed.

1. Tina Michel says:

I will!

2. Cija Black says:

As always beautifully said and right on time! :) I am about to launch my dating book and so I know what you are talking about. It has taken a whole lot of changes both scary and exciting (sometimes both) to get here and I am just amazed at what I can do when I give myself permission. Thank you for the reminder.

3. I love this age! Starting over or rather getting started has been one of the best gifts I have given myself.
    Diana

4. Holly says:

And then, instead of making some big loud angry proclamation to those you love about how sick and tired you are of neglecting yourself (as if that had been THEIR choice instead of YOURS) and how ‘by god, there’s gonna be some changes around here,’ Now that is painfully familiar!
    Today I say: I Will
    Thanks

Yep, I was hoping people would get that part. That’s the difference between being a victim and being a volunteer and it is KEY to your empowerment to know that, whatever your challenges, you have, at least in some small way, allowed it.

5. Lisa says:

I Will!!!!!!! Will you hold me accountable?
    Oh and by the way, thank you for your most timely and authentic message.

Lisa, we will do it together. We will hold each other accountable. Here’s me doing my part: go do something you love RIGHT NOW and let us know what that was.

6. Linda Bannan says:

This post made me think of Patricia Mosca’s book Permission Slips… For Your Heart & Soul! Your message meshes with Pattie’s so well. Thanks for reminding me that I don’t need to get permission; I already have it!

7. Lisa says:

I love this! Thanks for the permission slip! I’ve been needing this one. I really feel as though midlife especially does this for us.

8. Jana says:

i will?
    i will.
    i will!

9. Beautiful message, Jennifer, and I Will!

10. Michelle Ann says:

I will…

11. Elizabeth says:

I Will!

12. Yehudit says:

Oh, and Eyeyeyeeeee will . . . always luhhve youuuu!

13. Shaleen says:

12.12.2012 – From the Land Downunder.
    It seems to me to be the PERFECT day to join all you beautiful ladies and to say…
    “I WILL.. stop living a life I don’t want and start living the life I do.”
    Thanks so much for the reminder that this opportunity is always available for us Jen. Your own life story is testimony to the limitless possibilities for each of us once we say, ‘I will.’
    :-)

Welcome, Shaleen. We’ve got more of “the HOW” on the way. Did you sign up for updates so you’ll be sure to get it?

14. Bex Barrow says:

Yesterday I stood in a shop and cried. I realised I hated my life. I’d had enough. Today I read this. Thank you. It really is time to stop doing what I’m doing and try something new. Something that works better. Its time to try being me.

And I will.

Oh, love. I KNOOOOOOWWWWW that feeling. We will do it together. Right here. Right now. Today. Go do one thing you love to do and write me back.

15. April says:

This is the best one yet. I will read it over. Get ready. Inspired!
    I will

16. Bonnie says:

“Midlife. Reimagined” – wow, these two words resonate with me (wrote them in my little note book). After struggling with health issues that interfere with my desire to be at a frenetic pace I sustained for over 2 decades (but is not sustainable, actually never really was). Since I was doing the things I thought I should, must, have to do to ensure I was liked, valued for always “doing.” I too have been spending this year going with ‘trial and correction’ to design the life/pace that will define the real me. I’ve had to say ‘no’ to people and found that the world didn’t end. By saying ‘no’ I opened up the space for new people to enter my life. This has been the year of my opening up my eyes to the need to let go of an old persona, beliefs, visions, relationships, housekeeping standards, exercise goals, etc. I’ve also embraced my natural talents and strengths, which I was resisting and making my life so much harder than it had to be! Jennifer, your blog posts have been a big part of my growth this year – thank you for sharing your life and sage wisdom with us!

17. Patty says:

I AM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Big love to All you BEAUTIFUL Latvians <3
    You GO Girls! (Thanks, Jen!)
    Patty

18. Terrie says:

I really started taking care of me a few months ago…feel stronger, slimmer, more rested…..Yeah me!! BUT….now I need to figure out where it’s taking me. Have a job that I know needs to go….but I know why I’m there for the (very) present…need to figure out what’s next and what would make me happy and fulfilled and still allow me to be wife and mother to a full house……but I KNOW IT’S COMING SOON!!

19. Louise (from Thelma & Louise) says:

Eighteen months ago, I too had this same “A-ha” moment. I was working in a dysfuntional environment, missing too many events I wanted to be at and I was exhausted.
    An acquaintance of mine died after a quick illness. It got me to thinking -”if I had less than 6 months to live, is this how I wanted to live it?” Needless to say, the answer was a resounding “NO!”

A month later, I gave myself permission to live MY life. I quit that job, and started living “One Day at A Time.” I’ve rekindled my inner fire! I spend time with family and friends, laugh, take chances and enjoy being in the present.
    I found your site about a year ago & saw others on the same journey.

I just had a doctor’s appointment and he commented on how I look so much younger and could see that life was agreeing with me! (By the way, I do work two part-time jobs in much nicer environments.)

The hardest part is the first step!

20. Nadia says:

I will too!
    I’ve known for a loooong time what to do but I have been to scared. Now it’s time for a leap of faith….

21. Pingback: Something Good « A Thousand Shades of Gray