Begin.

Whatever you think you want to do, today is the day to do it.

Whomever you think you want to be, this is the day to be her.

Whatever fear is holding you back, today is the day to overcome it.

Whatever resentment is keeping you from loving fully, today is the day to relinquish it.

Whatever challenge you think is before you, today is the day to move past it.

THIS is the day. If you set your intention to resolve something just a few days ago, and IF you feel as if you have already let yourself down and failed, give that absolutely not one more moment of your thought energy.

Stop resolving.  Start living. (click to tweet)

Stop planning.  Start being.

Stop postponing. Start embracing.

THIS is the day. This is the moment.

It all starts now. It ALWAYS all starts now.

Each moment is another opportunity for you to begin again. What you did or didn’t do last year, or last week, or last night, or this morning – none of that matters.

What matters is here. What matters is what is happening now.

Right now.

This breath. This thought. This action. This deed.

Now.

And, forevermore, if you are confused about timing and such, come back to this moment.

And check.

If it is NOW,

. . . Begin.

Note:  Life After Tampons is a community of women committed to the idea of living “Midlife. Reimagined.”  This is where you sign up for regular updates and such on how to do that.

Photo: Flickr peasap

22 Responses to Begin.

1. Corina says:

Oh, girl, so very true. I’m 3 days into the new year, and already was feeling guilty that my “resolutions” have been neglected. I am going to start fresh this moment!

This is EXACTLY what I hoped for when I wrote the piece. WE can drop the shame now at our own inadequacies. Begin. again and again and again!

2. Bonnie says:

“Stop planning … Start being” … those words resonate with me. I am always in planning mode but not in enough being me in action mode. For me planning is a form of procrastination being driven by the fear of putting myself “out there.” Every year I select a word or phrase that is my “theme” for the year. I’ve been looking for one the past week and here it is! Thanks you Jen once again for a wonderful reminder to just do it, just get on “with it” and stop worrying about whether it’s right, done consistently, meets your expectations (or others); just be you so not only the world can see your brilliance but more importantly, you can embrace your brilliance! Happy New Year!

Thank you, Bonnie.

• SUSAN says:

I am always in planning mode but not in enough being me in action mode. For me planning is a form of procrastination being driven by the fear of putting myself “out there.” Oh Bonnie, I am so with you on this!!! My intention is to quit holding back and put myself out there, too….

3. Josie says:

Thank you.

4. YES YES & YES!
    Reminded me of this poem I found yesterday

Life, I am the New Year.
    I am an unspoiled page in your book of time.
    I am your next chance at the art of living.
    I am your opportunity to practice
    what you have learned about life
    during the last twelve months.

All that you sought
    and didn’t find is hidden in me,
    waiting for you to search it out
    with more determination.

All the good that you tried for
    and didn’t achieve
    is mine to grant
    when you have fewer conflicting desires.

All that you dreamed but didn’t dare to do,
    all that you hoped but did not will,
    all the faith that you claimed but did not have —
    these slumber lightly,
    waiting to be awakened
    by the touch of a strong purpose.

I am your opportunity
    to renew your allegiance to Him who said,
    ‘behold, I make all things new.’
    I am the new year.”

5. J says:

Well said and so true! Just read your lifebyme.com post, too…you are beautiful!
    Happy New Year, Ladies and Gents here at LAT.

6. Everything you have said is so true. I’m always thinking of the next thing and the next thing I need to do. This year I have resolved that I’m going to try to live in the moment, stop thinking about what’s next. It’s too frustrating to always think about what is coming up. I feel I totally calm down and do less worrying if I just try to stay with what I am doing at this very minute. It’s hard to do and I constantly have to remind myself, but you are so right – what matters is right now. Inspiring post again Jennifer.

Hi, Anne. I have been mediating daily for a little while and that really helps with staying in the moment.

Jen

7. Carol Hess says:

I just had a conversation with my coach/friend and came to the conclusion that I needed to do far less planning and far more taking action. So glad one of my first actions was to read your post, Jen! :)

Yea, we get lost in that thinking and planning and then we have to think about the best way to plan, and then we start looking at planning methods we could buy, but we have to think about it some more.

No wonder we’re tired!!

Happy New Year, Carol!

8. Cindy says:

Today is my birthday and since I am counting backwards to make up for time lost in grief and loss I am relieved to read this wonderful affirmation. Tonight I am actually going to a writers group at my local library (for the first time) and finding accountability to finish my book and I am learning to ask for accountability. Thank you all and Happy New Year. Great words for the New year…would like to post them on my Facebook page for my other friends to read. Most of my facebook friends are grieving Mothers and child advocates.

9. Hi Jennifer,

Wow! What a perfect way to start the year.

It’s too bad that many of us get energized about setting goals in a new year, when in fact every day, every moment of our lives is a new year.

I spoke to this in a blog post a while back When Will Your New Year Begin?

As Eckhart Tolle expanded on in “The Power of Now” and you have underscored here, all we have is now. The sooner we realize it and live by it, the sooner we can experience our awesomeness.

By the way, the author of the poem Carin shared above is unknown.

Thank you once again for being you.

10. This is excellent Jennifer.

If we want a new life experience, a new lifestyle, and a new way of “being”, we have to be willing to take that SHARP right angle turn. Otherwise, we are left with more of the same each day.

Though the “scenery” and “incidents” may change slightly, unless we make a DECISION to that our old thinking is not working, and then make a DECISION to leave old thinking behind, we will experience pretty much the same thing we have in the past in terms of how we feel, how invigorated we are about life, and how much of an impact we make on our world and those in it.

New and better thinking takes choice, tenacity, guts, boldness, courage, and heart. Best of all, it takes a load off our minds!

THANK YOU Jennifer for opening up this important conversation!

Love and Hugs!

Margo

“If you always do what you’ve always done, you’ll always get what you’ve always got,” right Margo??

Happy New Year, love. Jen

11. Heather says:

Thank you for this one, i have been having a hard time with what i want to do next in my life, how to make it better. Reading this was what i needed.