A Year From Now

I’m on vacation with my family.  We’re on the same cruise we shared time last year – to mark my 50th birthday and the launch of our midlife reinvention site, Life After Tampons.

I can’t believe the way our community has grown in just one short year!

Tens of thousands of women from all over the world  — 147 nations, in fact! — have been part of our growing community of women committed to living richer, fuller lives.

What a difference a year makes!

As we approach our first anniversary together, I invite you to stake a claim RIGHT NOW for your own “best life.”  In the Wisdom Circle comments below, please share one change you’d like to make in the coming year and, if you like, what help you might need in getting there.

Thank you for allowing me to be of service.  You are the best birthday gift ever!

P.S.  Don’t forget to sign up for free updates in the sidebar to the right!

Photo: flickr, jacrews

64 Responses to A Year From Now

1. Carol Vare says:

One year from now I want to be completely healthy.

2. Nat Cohen says:

I have hired someone to help me organize my apartment. I have lived here over a year and have been unable to create a system that works. I am getting some help to set up a plan and my challenge is to MAINTAIN order, something I have never been able to do before. I want to make that commitment to me and to do to do that.

3. I want to make choices that align with my desire to feel ease in my life. This will require me to be present and mindful…so that’s what I’d like to work on. Congrats on your ann’y!

4. The change I would like to make this year is to live in the present time and stop thinking and worrying about what may happen in the future. To take one day at a time and enjoy that day for what it is and enjoy the people present in my life that day.

Oh, Anne, I hope to improve at this as well. I’m finding so much depth through my meditation practice. Have you tried it? Jen

5. Caron says:

Hmmm … one change I’d like to make in the coming year, huh? Well, I believe I am in the midst of this change. It’s an ongoing thing. I just came across Susan Cain’s book “Quiet” and it’s been a real eye-opener to me. I can proudly say that, “YES! I am an introvert, and YES, by gawd, I do have something worthwhile to give to a society that values and even promotes extroverts!” For the longest time I didn’t understand why I wasn’t comfortable in my own skin and this is why. I was looking at and admiring all the amazing extroverts in my life and trying to be like them in order to define myself. Knowing this about myself has put me on a better track. I wonder all the time how I am standing in my own way hadn’t fully comprehended that this was a barrier in my life. The path seems a little straighter now.

I am loving my new career as a college instructor. It’s a way for me to keep my brain active and for me to be able to have influence over others — in a good way of course. My husband and I are homeschooling our son and it’s good to feel in control of his education. For so long in my life I have left my life in the hands of others. It really feels like I am on an upswing in my life and it feels good.

So, what would I change? Things change all the time because I get bored quickly when things stay the same. I want to say yes to experience more. I’m too quick to say no before I look at the possibilities of what “yes” could mean. I just said yes to teaching a class I haven’t taught before. When an introvert says yes to something there just has to be time to put a lot of thought and preparation into it. Another thing I’d like to say yes to is to writing. I’m really good at it. So, Universe, if you’re listening, please send me interesting writing assignments. I am interested in the history of anything, specifically photography and art. But, hey, I can take the unexpected subject, too, and make it work. Whaddya say?

• SherriS. says:

I loved “Quiet” too…finally understanding why I was so different has made a huge difference in my life. Cheers from one introvert to another:-)

Wow, I’ll have to check out that book. Isn’t it GREAT when something just feels RIGHT? J

• Allison W. says:

“Quiet” is freaking BRILLIANT! I already knew a lot of the theory as a student of Meyers-Briggs, but all the stories, anecdotes, etc. were so empowering. So great to be validated as an Introvert!

• Janet says:

I just picked up that book by a “fluke” and now just read this comment of yours by a “fluke”. Obviously flukes are synchronicity at work so I’m now going to pull out that book and read it from cover to cover! Thanks for mentioning the book and thank you Jen for your work, it’s definitely chocolate for many of our souls. Thanks again to both of you.

6. Colleen says:

I want to finally fulfill my purpose of helping others and get my coaching practice up and going. Thanks Jen for being an inspiration to those of us who want to be more of who we really are! Happy Birthday! I turned 49 this month.

7. Carol Hess says:

Happy Birthday, Jen! Congratulations with both your big day and the success of LAT. Woo hoo!

The one change I’m going to make this year is to establish financial stability for myself so I can have that solid foundation from which to do my best work. And here’s how you and your wonderful network of women can help. I am an AMAZING writer and editor. I am an AMAZING creator of programs. My special genius is all about the organization and presentation of information in one form or another. I want to put that special genius to work! Would you please spread the word about me? Thank you, thank you.

8. Peggy says:

I would like to regain more discipline in my life over my eating habits, exercise, and reducing clutter.

9. Beth says:

This year is my year to let the universe guide me, rather than me managing the universe. Be present, be open, be an expression of the loving spirit in whatever form it takes.

10. Linda says:

On December 31,2012 I finally put myself first and left an abusive husband. From this year on I am looking forward to living a peaceful life!

• Good for you Linda! I did the same at the end of 2007 and my life has been on the up ever since. I won’t pretend it’s been an easy path, but it has been sooooo worth it! I don’t know where you are in the world but here in the UK we have an amazing resource:
      I really couldn’t have managed without them and I can’t recommend finding a community like them highly enough.

I wish you the very best of luck with the separation and divorce. Don’t ever forget that you are not alone!

Go brave you! Thank you so much for sharing your beautiful heart. Jen

11. Laura says:

I want to finally launch my dream business! NOW!

12. Holly says:

HAPPY 50th BIRTHDAY JEN!!! I just celebrated my 50th this Christmas Day, but didn’t go on a cool vacation like you. Hope you are having a Great time!!

To 50 more birthdays for both of us!

Holly

Thank you, Holly. This is actually 51 for me. Do something extra special to mark your special day. That’s a really important practice. Happy beautiful birthday.

13. Ally says:

You know, I just want to maintain my life as it is now. I have found a nice balance of looking after myself, I have enough money, I love to create and I raise money for various causes I am passionate about. I do not have a partner, but doubt if I could find one to put up with my idiosyncrasies, so better to live alone in peace!

14. Angie says:

Balance. Pursuit of passion and stability, living fully and doing the dishes, defeating my inner-critic and loving her, sharing love and getting love, honesty with self and clarity with others, acknowledging the fear and living in faith, healthy and fun, healing and letting go, baby steps and grand plans.

15. Pat says:

I’ve been through many, many major upheavals within the past few years. I’ve finally put myself in a position to focus on the regular nuances of life and can be open to what will happen now. The major change… to allow good things to happen and be happy with where I am now.

You know, Pat, this part that you wrote about “allowing” good things to happen is so KEY! I spent way too much time negating the good for fear that the “bad” was on its way.

16. SherriS. says:

Happy Birthday Jen! So very glad I found your site a few months ago. There are so many wonderful comments on here that I relate to. I want to FOCUS on the important things this year – the positive things in my life, my photography, my creativity instead of letting the negative stuff pull me down.

17. Donna says:

This really resonates with me. So does every reply! Gee, where do I begin? Finances. Clutter. Writing (my first spiritual practice, long neglected). This year I’d like to wear my job a little more loosely, and think about how to craft a life that will sustain me when that part of life is finished. Can you tell I resist calling it “retirement?”

Ok, Donna. I’d like to lovingly suggest you pick ONE of these and start with that. 15 minutes a day. Just that ONE thing. When you get a foothold there, start with the next.

Which sounds like the funnest (NOT necessarily the one you think you NEED to do first.)

18. Patty says:

Happy Birthday and Happy Anniversary :)
    This year I want to incorporate more fun and explore more of my creative side.
    May this be a year where we release ALL self-limiting beliefs and be just who we are, loving ourselves more deeply.
    love and light to all.
    Patty

19. A year from now I want to have a new business running smoothly and bringing in five figures annually. Thanks for the chance to say that, and see it in black and white. Just the act of doing so keeps me moving.

20. Susan says:

I want to be living MY life…

21. Hmmmm….a year from now I want a finished manuscript, to have completed delivery of at least 6 art/coaching workshops and have a presence in my field. To do so I need to find a tribe and a mentor. That seems to be the most challenging part, for me. Thanks, Jen, for the regular doses of inspiration. It’ll be exciting to see what 2013 brings for ALL of us!!!

22. Georgia says:

I want to continue to move forward in building my practice and to believe in the power of one step at a time, letting go of anxiety, or at least, transforming anxiety into powerful action.

I vote for transforming. My anxiety sort of comes in handy because it reminds me I need Higher Power. When I’m anxious, it’s usually because I’m living “self-will run riot.”

23. Diane Albers says:

They say that things happen for a reason. I would like to discover the reason and have some peace in my life. I want to feel settled and know what direction I was meant to follow. I don’t like this feeling of staring in the the abyss.

Diane, It’s a common misconception that we need to “understand the reason” for things to have peace or happiness. You don’t need to understand, you just need to make a decision.

Ironically, what I’ve found is that the understanding comes AFTER I stop seeking it.

And stop staring into the abyss. Get an art journal and some markers and start drawing your new life. Then, make some tea and eat a piece of cake. After that, go buy some flowers. Then, help a kid learn something. After that, say a prayer. Then make some lasagna. When you get through with that, start all over. Rinse repeat until you have a life you love.

Truly. It works!!

24. Mary says:

I want to have a committed relationship that I feel good about. I love my life but I want someone to share it with.

Keep up the great work Jen. I so look forward to your emails.

Rock on Fifties!!!!!!

25. Dawn says:

I live one day at a time, especially with my husband’s illness. I have changed so much in the past year studying for my master’s degree in holistic nutrition. As I continue and perhaps complete my studies, I hope to gain more consistency in applying the principles I learn in my life.

Hi, Dawn. Thank you for that one day at a time reminder. I’m sorry your husband is ill and wish you every blessing. Don’t forget to remember not to forget yourself.

J

26. About a year ago I quit/got fired from my job… I sat down in front of my computer and typed out “What Do I Want…” and I put out to the Universe that I wanted to find peace and grace about my daughter’s diagnosis with Cystic Fibrosis, I said I wanted to be present and marinate joyfully in every single minute of my life… and the Universe delivered and I see now that I’m pretty good at delivering this message and I learned a valuable lesson that so many women need to learn – setting goals and “wanting it all” is wonderful but not at the expense of your “right now” and not at the expense of the gratitude you need to show every day that you wake up still breathing… So for the last year my journal has been saved on my computer and literally called “What Do I Want” and just a couple of weeks ago I took stock and this is what I wrote:
    “This is what I want… I want to inspire, I want to create, I want to change people’s lives…. I want to enjoy the ego trip of it from time to time – but I want to experience the kind of humility that comes from me when I don’t second guess – when I don’t worry about how others will react. Those people will get out of your way once you realize that you don’t have to make the world move for them. They will literally remove themselves from your life and clear the path for you to become who you were meant to become.
    I want to speak… I want to stand in front of people and tell our story and explain to them that I am just a regular woman, a regular mom, a regular wife…. the only thing that separates me is that I act on things… I have ideas and I act on them… In the past I have acted without a plan and that makes for some sticky moments but I am learning how to plan and execute. I want to support our family financially with my speaking endeavours…..
    I want to write… I want to take words and mold them into inspiration for people to lead better lives, be better people. I want to trust that setting this intention is enough… I don’t need to worry about the how, or the why or the when… I need to have faith that this is where I am supposed to be and that the Universe wants me here and will make it happen.”
    I didn’t know who or what or where to share this intention but this seemed like the perfect invitation to put it out there even more boldly than just documenting it in my journal… sorry for the rambling… namaste… lol!klo0

Happy Happy, Jen…and a much deserved thank you! I found you within a week of your start date. You validated a journey on which I was in the midst of, but feeling a bit rudderless at the time. Your posts have been the nudge, hug, laugh needed to keep my wheels moving. I had a goal then…to reclaim my individuality, myself (despite how absolutely unrecognizable the bitchy Pause sisters were making me feel), so that I could make an objective decision about my marriage and my career goals for the second half of life. I am so stoked to be turning 50 in Feb. with a deeper understanding of myself, an appreciation for what I have, bring, want. It has been work laced with laughter, love, and learning.

This year it is my goal and my prayer that I live and share my gratitude, daily, in ways that are meaningful but whenever possible, somewhat untraceable…I love stealth!

Sweet gratitude to you, Jen, and all of this LAT circle…Gems, all!
    J

Oh, I REMEMBER you and the Pause Sisters. I’m so glad you wrote in. Thank you for staying with us. And your beautiful heart and humor.

I love the idea of stealth gratitude, too.

28. Diane Standish says:

I have been pondering the new year in this way even before I read this post. Again, the universe has a way of guiding me to places and words that reveal what I need to understand and which way I need to go. Hubby and I are limited in our finances as he was forced to retire 3 years ago when his work shut their doors. He found a job a couple months ago, but walked away from in on New Years Eve. He said it was causing him so much anxiety he felt like he was having a heart attaSo ck. I know I have to step up and find a way to earn some income. I have a talent for sewing and papercrafting(cards in particular). I have been saving lots of ideas and patterns online for a long time. I guess this year I need to find the courage to step into the unknown, start producing some handmade projects and see if anyone is interested in purchasing! I have so many ideas, but I am stuck;it seems as if I can’t find the energy to start! So I am thinking I could use help in how to jump in and just do it-how to begin…

29. Jennifer says:

Here’s an idea: go do ONE thing for your new business and report back in. Jen

• Diane Standish says:

Jen-I will and I will report back. Right now I am finishing a card order for a friend. But I will make create one of my ideas as a prototype and let you know it is done! Thanks for the kick in the butt!!